Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mount Baldy-Ski Hut Trail to Devil's Backbone


Today I hiked the Ski Hut/Baldy Bowl Trail to the top of Mount Baldy, and took the Devil's Backbone back. It was a beautiful, sunny day with no sign of clouds. The steep Ski Hut trail begins on the road to Baldy Notch, as an unmarked trail on the left about five minutes after the waterfall. There is a trail register holder shortly after starting the trail, but it was empty. The trail leads up a shaded canyon to the Sierra Club hut, where there are nice benches for taking a break. Then you climb up, up, up, until the trees thin and the breeze picks up. On top, you can see the desert, the valley, and the surrounding peaks. If you squint you may be able to see the Sierra. Going on the backbone on the way back this time was less frightening for me. I even peered over a couple of ledges--a big step for this acrophobic. It didn't hurt that I was wearing my sturdy hiking boots, instead of my running shoes. The hike back passed quickly, as a speed hiker came by and entertained with conversation about training for Mount Whitney.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I decided to do this instead of going back down the ski hut trail once.. I neglected to realize that the last half of that hike would be almost fully exposed. I got a nice sunburn. GREAT training hike. I used to do the ski hut once a week.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home